Sunday, February 9, 2014

Wine Tasting (Week 3)

Name: Angove Zibibbo
Variety: Sparkling Moscato
Region: South Australia
Country: Australia
Price: $15.00
Winery Review: "This is a tasty and generous Moscato that opens with plush aromas of honey, peach syrup, white flower and fragrant exotic fruit. There’s a nice sensation of fullness and creaminess in the mouth that is backed by the foamy effervescence of this sparkling dessert wine."
My Review: This was my favorite out of the five wines I tasted. It felt like I was drinking a dessert with the taste of honey and its creaminess. I could also smell the honey when I painted the glass.
Name: Norton
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina 
Price: $12.00
Year: 2012
Winery Review: "This is a tasty and generous Moscato that opens with plush aromas of honey, peach syrup, white flower and fragrant exotic fruit. There’s a nice sensation of fullness and creaminess in the mouth that is backed by the foamy effervescence of this sparkling dessert wine."
My Review: From swirling and smelling the wine I could immediately smell tropical flavors. When tasting the wine the citrus part of the wine took over and it was hard to taste anything. 
Name: Fetzer
Variety: Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina 
Price: $7.95
Year: 2011
Winery Review: "Delicious Malbec is 100% from Mendoza, Argentina. It has a vibrant red color with violet tones. Subtle and delicious aromas with an intense mixture of red fruits, plum and cherry jam. On the palate it’s juicy and has intense wood-like tannins that make it a rustic, yet versatile wine. Long finish."
My Review: The first thing I noticed was how loud the color of the wine was in my glass. It was a cherry red and indeed tasted like cheery. I could still taste the cherries long after I swallowed it. 
Name: Tres Ojos
Variety: Garnacha
Region: Calatayud
Country: Spain 
Price: $6.95
Year: 2011
Winery Review: "This semi-opaque ruby, custom cuvĂ©e of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre is made specifically for Fran Kysela. It exhibits very fresh, ripe dark red fruit with very good palate weight and depth and ends with rich fruit notes. Made from organically grown grapes. Incredible value!"
My Review: I could very easily see through the wine. When tasting the wine it was very hard to get a good sense of what the wine contained because of how dry it was. 

Name: The Royal
Variety: Old Vines Chenin Blanc
Region: South Africa
Country: South Africa 
Price: $7.95
Year: 2012
Winery Review: "One of the greatest buys I have tasted this year is this under $10, 100% Chenin Blanc from the Western Cape. A super flowery-scented nose includes notions of ripe honeydew melons and pears. This medium-weight, fresh, fruity, crisp, dry, textbook Chenin Blanc will provide immense pleasure over the next 12 months."
My Review: Upon smelling the wine I did not get much except a hint of flowers. However once I tasted the wine I was able to pick up lots of honey, melon, and peers. It had a distinct fruity taste making it a very pleasurable wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment